What Is NSF File Extension?
Technical Overview Of Domino Server NSF File
|File Category||Database File|
|MIME Type||application/x-lotus-notes, application/vnd.lotus-notes|
|Hex Signature||1 A 00 00 04 00 00|
|Platform Supported||MS Windows and MAC Operating System|
|Storage of .nsf file||Notes\Data directory|
Abbreviation of NSF File Format
NSF files stands for Notes Storage Format.
NSF Files Extension – A Brief Glossary
NSF files or Notes Storage Facility is basically a database, which is supported by:
1) IBM Lotus Notes
2) IBM Domino Server
These database file keeps the data in the document cell, which are named as Notes. It includes all the mailbox information of the Lotus Notes email client like email, phone book, calendar, information of design, appointments, and many more. Generally, the Notes Storage Facility is hosted by the Domino Server and can be downloaded by the users of Notes for fully relying on the database, which is functional even in an offline mode. The Domino Server present in master database synchronizes the modification, edition, and changes made by a user in Notes.
Default location of NSF Files:
The location of .nsf Files is mentioned below: C:\ProgramFiles\IBMNotes\Data
Understanding the Concept Behind NSF File
Lotus Notes is counted under the category of mailing clients, which can be served a purpose of emailing, scheduling meetings, and many things. It contains properties like email, phone book, calendar, task, and journals and thus, can save the entire database in .nsf file format. A separate contact file named as names.nsf file is made in both Lotus Notes Client and the Domino Server. This file is most significant among all the client as well as server, after installing Lotus Notes in the system. Lotus Notes has the proficiency to store the address book at the client site. IBM Lotus Notes provides an attribute, where contacts help users in many ways:
- Personal and professional information both can be stored in an organized manner
- One can store mails directly without remembering the email ids of a person
- Any user can search the desired information about any individual, which he requires
- An individual can delete, edit, insert, and apply command on his/her contact list
- IBM Lotus Notes does not abide any user regarding the contacts stored in the address book
In addition to all this, IBM Lotus Notes contains the file extensions like Mailbox.nsf, Bookmark.nsf, Busytime.nsf, headline.nsf, preweb.nsf, internet.nsf.
- mailbox.nsf file contains all the mails, task list, calendar. This file can also be placed by other names like database.nsf and
- Bookmark.nsf file folders contain all the saved bookmarks as per the requirement of the user. If a user wants to place any file as a bookmark, he can easily figure out for the same.
- Busytime.nsf file/folders includes all the local free time information regarding the same.
- Headines.nsf file contains all the information of a subscription of the database.
- IBM internet.nsf file keeps track of all details of the related to newsgroup subscription.
- Lotus Notes perweb.nsf files contains entire information of the web browser what a user search or save while searching.
The Observational Verdict
From the above paragraph, we have justified the need of the .nsf files and figured out that these file are served by the database supported by IBM Lotus notes and its Domino Server. We suggest users to take backup of files before thinking of anything. If in case of any disaster because of virus in the system then, a NSF file might get prone to the corruption. If there is any requiremat to access this file on Outlook email application then we recommend you to use NSF to PST converter software it will help you to overcome from this issues.