How To Save Google Drive To Desktop / External Drive? – Free Solution
Google Drive is the most widely used cloud platform used by most people all over the Globe. It is the best free platform where people can save their important data, images, video, audio, etc. The best thing about it is that you can access the data anytime and from anywhere. But, let me ask you a question, “Did it ever come to your mind that ‘Is your data safe over the Cloud?” If not, then think, what happens if somebody hacks your account and deletes your data? What’s the solution? It’s simple – Save Google Drive to Desktop, hard drive or any other external media.
To help users the best way to backup and save Google Drive files to computer is discussed in this blog. Read the blog carefully and understand if you need to protect yours.
Why You Should Save Google Drive to Desktop?
There can be multiple reasons, why one should move files from Google Drive to desktop . Following are the topmost reasons we have asked from users:
- To protect Google Drive data from hackers
- Google Drive storage is full
- Corruption of Data over Cloud Platform
- Migration of Google Drive Data
- Backup Google Apps data
- Access Drive data without an Internet Connection
What is the Best Way to Store Google Drive Files Locally?
There are a few ways using which you can easily save files from Google Drive to comupter. Out of many of those we have selected the best two solutions for you. Both the solutions is defined according to the priority with their advantages and disadvantages one over others. You can try both the method and choose the best one which suits your requirements. We have validated both the mentioned methods and they work properly. Below are the two ways to save Google Drive files to computer :
1. Best Way to Save Google Drive to Desktop / External Media – 100% Safe
2. Google Takeout to Store Google Drive File Locally – Free
Solution #1: Automated Method to Save Google Drive Files to Local Computer
The first and the best method using which users of Google Apps can save their data from drive to the desired location. This method can be done by using an automated tool like Google Account Backup Software. It is a safe and secure automated tool that automatically saves every file from your Google Drive account to the desired destination location.
Apart from Google Drive data backup, this tool can save other Google Apps data like Email, calendars and contacts, that too in multiple formats such as PST, EML, MSG, and MBOX. The software is available for both Windows and Mac users to move files from Google Drive to desktop. No matter which platform you are working on the method works for everyone. Just download and save the Google Drive data to desktop, pen drive, external hard drive, SD card, etc.
Advantages of Using the Tool to Store Google Drive File Locally
- Save all drive data, such as Images, Sheets, Docs, Presentations, Files, etc.
- Has the ability to store Google Drive data on a computer’s hard drive or at a preferred location.
- Also save other Google Apps data like Emails, Contacts, etc.
- Incremental option to save only New Drive data at the time of the next backup.
- Different Filter options to save data according to date.
- Delete After download option to free up server space.
- Maintain Folder hierarchy, same as Drive.
A steps-wise solution to Save Google Drive to Desktop
- First, Download and launch the Tool to move files from Google Drive to Desktop. Enter Google Account credentials to log into the software.
- Select the Category as “Documents” from the list, and also select the Export type.
- Choose the desired destination location on the Computer and Apply Filter.
- Finally hit the “Start” button to start the process and save Google Drive to desktop.
Note: The tool is complete save to use and verified by Google. Login credentials are used to authenticate with Google only.
Solution #2: Method to Move Files From Google Drive to Desktop – Manually
The second best method to save files from Google Drive to local computers is by using the Google Takeout method. This solution is provided by Google for free, However, it is not the safest and quickest method for backup. As the chances of error of high for now.
“Cassidy Travers Asks- Hi everyone, I want to know how to store the data on my Google Drive. I can’t store any more data in Google Drive because my storage space is almost full.I have tried Google Takeout method, but this method is quite tricky, I lost my internet connection for a second and the data downloading got canceled and I have download complete data again. I read in an article that data may get corrupted also if not done properly. Is there any safe way using which I can save Google Drive to desktop? Any help will be appreciated.”
Yes! She is right, sometimes we have seen some scenarios in which Google Takeout miss some saves or a few files are not downloaded completely. Also, If during the downloading, if by any chance you lose an internet connection then you need to re-download the Drive data again. Apart from this if you try to back up your Google Drive data again in the future, then it will again back up similar data. Still, if you need a free solution without worrying about data loss then you can follow this method.
1. Go to the Google Takeout website and Login
2. Now, uncheck all the already checked items
3. From the list, check on the Google Drive checkbox
4. Now, click on the Option ‘Create Archive’ (It will take a day or few to create)
5. After the archive is created, click on the Download and Save button
6. Downloading will begin after the completion checks your data.
Advantages of Google Takeout
- The method is free to use
- Save Other Google Apps data
Disadvantages of using Google Takeout
- Chances of Data Corruption is High
- Doesn’t perform Incremental backup
- Slow Process to backup drive data
- No Filter option to save selected Google Drive data
Also Read: How to Fix Cannot Download Attachments From Gmail Issue?
In this blog, we have covered the topic “how to save Google Drive to desktop, external drive”. The solution contains two methods, and both methods are explained in detail, now it’s up to you which method you prefer. From YouTube, and Twitter Pole we have to collect the rating and 75% per cent prefers to use the automated tools over the Google Takeout method to save Google drive files to computer.
Q1. Does Google Drive allow you to save Google Drive data to Desktop?
Yes, Google allows users to download and save their documents on a desktop locally.
Q1. How do I move files from Google Drive to my computer?
Go to your Drive and log in, select the file and press the download button to move and save files on the computer. If there are multiple files then use the Automated tool.
Q3. Is there any quick solution to Save Google Drive To Desktop?
You can go with the offline solution that we have discussed which helps in downloading and saving the Drive data from Google.